Sales | Events | Classes | Tutorials | Garden Tips
Bare Root: Lowest Price of the Year!
It's always fun when the bare root plants arrive in the nursery. It means that Winter will soon be drawing to a close and Spring is just around the corner! This is also the time when we have the widest selection available at the best price. So if you are looking for a new fruit, nut flowering or shade tree, stop on by!
Never planted a bare root tree before? Instructions can be found below, along with a complete list of our fruit and nut trees available. Bare root trees are easier to plant and transport now, which means we offer them at a lower price than when they are potted later in the spring.
How to Plant Your Bare-Root Tree
1. Dig a shallow, wide planting hole.
2. Mix the native soil with Planting Compost at a ratio of up to 50/50. Add a good starter fertilizer to the soil mix. We recommend Gardener and Bloome Planting Compost which is full of beneficial microbes and mycorrhizae at the ratio recommended on the box.
3. Spread the roots evenly in the hole, then back fill with your soil mix. The first roots should be just slightly below the surface of the soil. Be sure not to bury the graft!
4. Water well.
5. Trees should be lightly staked for about one year and may need protection from rodents and deer.
6. Water new trees and shrubs as needed the first year.
Farm & Garden